Welcome to the Etnedal Genealogical Society
images of etnedal banner

Articles | Book Project | Faces | Family Stories
Farms | Links | Parish Records | What's New

Øvre Solbrekken

Subfarms: Kveen, nedre Øygarden, Oppigarden, Sydgarden, Øvre Øygarden.

Subfarms from these unitsare: Bratteng, Briskehallen, Frugeset, Lien, Vårlund, Øvreand Nedre Hafsenstølen.


The name Solbrekken is a Nature Name and can therefore be considered one of the oldest farms in the area. It is not known when Solbrekken got its name, however, Frøholm suggests that it was probably from the same era as Ton and Hiei, the neighboring farms. "Sol" = sun, "Brekken" = hill. Sunny hill.

Just when Solbrekken was divided in two is uncertainbut itis believed that it happened after the Black Death.As was with the other farms Solbrekken was deserted during the Black Death of 1348/49 and it wasnt until the 1590s that people returned and divided into Øvre Solbrekken and Nedre Solbrekken. Today Øvre Solbrekken has the farm number 34 and Nedre Solbrekken has 35.

Øvre Solbrekken was krongods after the Black Death and Fredrik Werdelmann bought the farm from the king in the 1670s or 1680s. Margretha Wilders, widow of Werdelmann, took over the property in 1692. She soon sold it to the Stockfleth family who had the farm until 1749. The Stockfleths weren't the only ones to own Øvre Solbrekken. Postmaster Lemmich from Drammen, owned a portion of the farm as well.

The first leaseholder, whose name we know is Ole Solbrekken. He was here from 1612 to 1640. From 1640 to 1643 we find Mons Olsson here as well. He could possibly have been the son of Ole Solbrekken.

 

 

Homepage | Our Guestbook | Contact Us