Welcome to the Etnedal Genealogical Society
images of etnedal banner

Articles | Book Project | Faces | Family Stories
Farms | Links | Parish Records | What's New

Li


The Li farm was once one of the biggest farms in Etnedal, located in the middle of the valley, on the east side of the Etna river, bordering Kringli farm to the north and Byfuglien farm to the south. To the east Li shared its border with Torpa in Nordre Land.

Mikjel Sørlie suggests that Li was settled around 400 or 500 AD. Although there is archeological evidence that suggests that people were here around the birth of Christ. This was probably one of the first settlements in the valley. As was with the other farms, Li was abandoned during the Black Death when the people fled or died out. Li was also the first farm that was resettled after the Black Death.

We do know that there were people at Li as early as 1593. Østen Johannesson was at Li early on and could have been the original settler after the Black Death. Oluf Østenson was a farmer here in 1667 and is the last leaseholder we know of at Li. Halvor Knutson Byfelie purchased Li together with Kringli in 1682 from Lauritz Lauritzen. His son, Ole Halvorson, took over in 1692.

The Li farm has, like Kringli and Byfuglien, been divided many times through the centuries. All the cotterfarms (husmannsplassene) belonging to Li, like Øverlisbygda, have been independent farm units for the past 100 years. The same with the mountain farms, like Svilosen, Garin, Listølen; these, too, are independent farm units now.

Different families live on those farms today, although they might be descendants of the early settlers. Bøverstuen was part of the Li farm. On the Li farm was a school, a post office, shops and a house of prayer. Subfarms are: Four units of Øverli, two units of Skåren, Mæhlum, Bøverstuen, Flatmarken, Kompen, Rundberg, Sjurud, Garastølen.

Source: Gard og Bygde i Etnedal Book B, pages 250-251

 

Homepage | Our Guestbook | Contact Us