Welcome to the Etnedal Genealogical Society
images of etnedal banner

Articles | Book Project | Faces | Family Stories
Farms | Links | Parish Records | What's New

Kleivgård

Subfarms: Hansebråten, Klevgårdsbakken, Klevgårdslien, Klevgårdsøyen, Kolverud, Skålrud, Skredderstuen, Stamparstuen.


The Klevgård farms are located east and southeast of Bruflat, the community center, on the east side of the Etna river, stretching up the hills towards Byfuglien and Torpa. Part of Svilosen in the mountains belonged to Klevgård. Today there are three main farm units: Søndre Klevgård, nordre Klevgård and Klevgårdslien.

The name "Klev" comes from the old Norwegian word "kleif" which means a road under a steep hillside, and "gård" which is farm. It fits with the topography.

Frøholm maintains that Klevgård was settled between 1000 and 1300 AD. During the Black Death Klevgård was deserted and wasnt resettled until about 1640. The King had Klevgård until 1669.

During this time there were two leaseholders that we know of. The first was Syver Olsson, who was born about 1632 and farmed one half of Klevgård. The second leaseholder was Jon Mattison, who was born about 1612, and farmed the other half. Both of these leaseholders were farming Klevgård around 1664.

As was with many farms in the valley, Laurits Christensen and the Stockfleth family from Oslo/Drammen purchased the farm from the King and it became borgargods. The Stockfleth family sold all of Klevgård in 1749 to Engebret Olsson Byfelie and Gjertrud Nilsdatter.

There have been close ties between Klevgård and Lunde, Hovde, Byfuglien and Breien throughout the years as the people on these farms have intermarried for generations. This farm has also been divided several times and has three main farms and several subfarms.

Down by the river, on Stamparstuen land, a grainmill was established for the whole area. They took waterpower from the river and in addition to the mill they also cut roofing tiles from wood. They also had yarn production - they stamped and colored wool, hence the name Stamparstuen.

Source: Gard og Bygde i Etnedal BookC, pages 252

 

Homepage | Our Guestbook | Contact Us