Welcome to the Etnedal Genealogical Society
images of etnedal banner

Articles | Book Project | Faces | Family Stories
Farms | Links | Parish Records | What's New


Map, Births & Deaths at S-AGA.org

Sub-farms: Bruflatbakken, Kirkebakken, Purkestad, Smelhus, Smeplassen

Bruflat is one of the only farm names known to us that was in existence before the Black Death found its way to Norway in 1349. The farm was probably cleared around 1000 AD.

After the Black Death left the area, Bruflat wasnt settled again until the 16th century and was called Kyrkjegods and listed in Aurdal until 1660.

Laurits Christensen from Drammen bought the farm in 1668 and kept it until the 1690s when he sold it to Hannibal Stockfleth. Stockfleth had the farm until 1749.

Bruflat was written many different ways throughout the ages. In 1317 Bruflat was written Bruarflatand in the skatteliste from 1616 Blaaflatten. From 1647 to 1723 it was written Blaafladt and in 1667 Blaaflatt. Then it took its present form of Bruflat as early as 1838.

There were several families early on at Bruflat. Albert Bruflat was here from 1614 to 1625. Jens and Barbro Blåflat hadthe farm from 1620 to the 1660s.

The main horse trail over the mountains between Oslo and Bergen went through Bruflat. This road was called Kongevegen, the Kings Road. There was a Skyss-stasjon (coaching inn) at the Bruflat farm, where weary travellers could seek refuge and rest. As the farm is located at the bottom of the hill, and Kongevegen continues straight up the hills to Tonsåstoppen, fresh horses were needed. There was always a crew with horses available at the Bruflat farm.

The owner of Bruflat farm at that time (late 1700s) was Elling Aslakson Bruflat. He and his family thought that the traffic going through the farm was very heavy and so they decided tobuild new houses a little north of Bruflat. He divided the farm in 1813 and made Rødningen with the new houses as the main farm, also called Bruflat Nordre.

Through the years Bruflat has been the connecting point in the valley. The road follows the Etna river from south to the north and at Bruflat the road isalso divided to the west, over to Aurdal and the rest of Valdres territory, and then over to Bergen.

Bruflat developed as a center for trading business and other services. In the early 1300's a church was built on the farmground, but the Bruflat church of today was actuallybuilt in 1744 and is a beautiful loghouse church.

Today Bruflat is the Community Administration Center. There are several shops and some smallindustry. Bruflat and Rødningen farms had several Husmannsplasser or subfarms. Eventually laws were passed that allowed the subfarms to be bought by the tenants, but this allowed the main farms to be split up many times.

Source: Gard og Bygde i Etnedal Book C, page 110 - 111

Census Records

1865 | 1875 | 1900


Homepage | Our Guestbook | Contact Us